Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The year long plateau...

Weight loss wasn't an immediate goal of this process - taking back control of my life from the fridge, TV and couch were bigger concerns. But I did expect weight loss and got it - very, very slowly. The first 20 lbs took about a year - so slowly that no one noticed. But I felt better than I had in years; I actually have photos of myself from that period and very, very few from my heaviest. Finding size 16 hiking shorts that fit was a happy, happy day for me and a favorite picture of me at 200 is hiking up the top of a mountain pass wearing those very shorts.

Two things accelerated the process for the next 20 lbs:

First, we moved back to Southern Ontario from Alberta and chose a small town home over our previous rural lifestyle. Being able to walk outside in the winter on lighted sidewalks meant I could walk more - a favored form of exercise. Not freezing to death was also a pleasant change from those ferocious prairie winds.

Second, DH got a wake up call. A stressed out, obese executive prone to high blood pressure and doctor avoidance, he was denied mortgage insurance on our new house. The idea that he could leave me unable to provide for our family was the incentive he needed to make changes - so - he joined me on my health quest. Having a partner on this journey makes it 1/3 as difficult and twice as fun. Having a partner who is male is also a major pain in the butt...

DH lost 70 lbs in 6 months... sigh*

But - he did make my process easier - a walking partner, someone who read labels before he brought food into the house, someone who decreased his alcohol intake alongside mine, someone who thought twice about opening a bag of chips or cookies, and someone interested in the GI Diet.

The GI Diet (Rick Gallop) was our first attempt at structuring our meals thoughtfully. Prior to that, I was simply eliminating the "bad" and adding the "good". The premise of low and high GI foods and their effect on the body made sense to me. The principles and approach were easy for me to follow and I enjoyed the healthful food. I lost another 20lbs - getting myself to a low of 183. I felt great and looked great - bought a pair of size 10 Levi's - size 10!!! All that exercise meant lots of inches lost. I was deliriously happy... but I stayed at 183 for an entire year.

The GI Diet was very good - I still follow it even on Weight Watchers. But it doesn't worry too much about portion control and I'm a big big eater. A really BIG eater - I love LOTS of food - never been known to put a chip bag or cookie box back into the pantry. Portion size info on labels was meaningless to me - I ate what and when Iwanted and stayed at 183.

So I got used to it - by this time I had started running occasionally and was more intense about yoga. I looked great. I grew my hair out and got some funky glasses. I enjoyed life to the fullest.

Until I went to my doctor for an asthma check up and weighed 192lb.

That's one way to break a plateau.