Monday, April 20, 2009

Love Letter to WW

I remember joining WW the first time - a balmy spring day in 1990 - so encouraged by the leader's success and promise, I walked the whole way home - 3.2 km - the farthest I had walked since 1984. I embraced the pre-points program with gusto - losing an admirable 63 pounds in total. I was young, it was fast and I was definitely "On A Diet."

"On a diet" meant no to many things - regardless of WWs mantra that ALL things are possible on the plan, there are still many things that didn't fit in very well. SO - substitutions were the order of the day. I still have more recipes for desserts using sugar free pudding, graham wafer crumbs and fruit than anyone will ever need on this earth. I know how to pretend a rice cake is a pizza crust and cover it with fat free spaghetti sauce and low fat cheese. Or, better yet - Molly McButter and garlic salt - yummy - mouthwatering. I've dipped carrots into tasteless fat free dressings, eaten cups of air popped popcorn trying to pretend it wasn't styrofoam in my mouth, eaten salty, turkey wannabee hot dogs - all in the name of losing weight.

I was constantly hungry. Lots of research studies have shown that sugar substitutes trick our bodies into thinking it's sugar thus stimulating the same craving for sugar as the real stuff does. Rice cakes, in addition to being utterly tasteless, are a high GI food - quickly digested stimulating insulin production and creating yet another craving. There was little support from WW around adding nutrients and calories for exercise - 4 step aerobic classes a week took their needs from what nutrients I had in my system leaving little for health - no wonder I was starving all the time! Constantly watching the clock, constantly craving every bit of food within sight - always thinking about my next meal before my current one was done. A horrible way to live!

And what about my health? Other research is pretty clear on the risk of food substitutes - what is in "Molly McButter" anyway? I don't want to think of the possible long term damage done to my organs by eating all those chemicals used to make fake food taste sorta real. All that aspartame (no Splenda yet in view!), fillers, preservatives, bulk - all that emptiness - a diet built on man made chemistry - not that of the earth!

As long as I kept vigilant about ignoring my hunger - I was okay. But it got to be too much work. I was exhausted from my hunger. And, I quit. Cold Turkey. No gentle weaning - simply said "enough!"

Today's WW is different. I don't agree with all of its principles - I still don't believe in "a little piece of cake" (there's no such thing) or using a few points each day for "treats". I need every point for nutrients thanks. I'm a fat chick in recovery - there is no room in my diet for a daily infusion of sugar substitutes or those 100 cal packs of junk food. Nope - like an addict, I say no. NO. Everyday - NO.

But I love the simply filling foods. I use the simply filling foods for my daily points - at least 85% of my daily points come from the simply filling list. Those nutritious, low calorie, high nutrient foods from the earth - nothing fancy - nothing premade - just good grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy and proteins. And big portions. Since eliminating so much junk from my diet and sticking to WWs filling foods in portion controlled point sizes, I am rarely hungry. I haven't had a craving for 6 months. Not a one.

I love the insistance on vitamin supplements and oil intake. The reminder to go slow and steady. The 10% goal and the 5lb stars. All lovely stuff!

I also love the online tools - so simple to use. So fast - so accurate! So adaptable. As WW continues to move me down in daily points, I continue to override it to what I want my DPs to be with no problems. Weekly WIs are private affairs and the site is quick to offer a "woot!" when the numbers are good. Monitoring APs is awesome - how motivating to rack up 14 APs even if there is no way I could physically eat that much! But knowing I had 14 APs yesterday encourages me to adjust my intake today to compensate for the protein and carbs needed to fuel those muscles in recovery.

Finally - WWs boards are a stellar support group to which I have access 24/7. There are some nasty places and sarcastic people to avoid - I haven't worked this hard on my positive outlook to engage in battle with a troll. But, the age boards are priceless for their knowledge, support, caring and friendship. Despite appearances to the contrary, I'm not good at talking about this journey in my real world. Having the relative anonymity of the 40s board through thick and thin (sorry, pun intended) is sublime.

I am so glad to have rediscovered the new improved WW. I am now a very big fan and believe absolutely that it is a key component in my recovery. One day at a time!